TREKKING DURATION: 6 hours
TOTAL DURATION: 10 hours
RATE: USD 250
Trekking Full Day
Marine fossils and much more, a virgin and unexplored canyon
Trekking Full Day
Live a trekking day at Estancia Cristina.
There will be plenty of time here to enjoy views of Lake Guillermo and the eastern side of the Upsala Glacier, as well as the Southern Patagonian Ice Field, before beginning the 14km trek through Fossil Canyon. The fascinating Cañadón de los Fósiles, which is around 170 million years old, has been named so for its immense concentration of marine fossils, imprints of squid and jellyfish among them, left behind after the last ice age. We can observe a kaleidoscope of colors across this terrain, the canyon’s walls rising beside us as we make a gradual descent until reaching a ravine at the edge of the valley. Along the way, we’ll stop and tuck into our box lunches, before leaving the canyon behindhaving explored it fully, then arriving back at the estancia and later onward to the port.
Estancia Cristina offers an optional box lunch, please request it in advance. Please also let us know of any dietary requirements in advance.
• Minimum age: 12 years old.
• Due to physical demands and challenging terrain, this trek is only suitable for individuals who are in a good physical condition.
• This program is not recommended for people with back, hip, ankle or knee problems.
• Once the trekking has started, the only way back to the estancia is on foot.
• It is essential to have good walking shoes, preferably boots with ankle support.
• If our guide believes that a participant does not meet the proper physical conditions to carry out the activity safely, or lacks the appropriate gear, this guest will not be able to trek and will also not be refunded.
Multi-grain bread sandwich (2 pieces): Chicken, smoked pork loin, tybo cheese, sweet onions, mixed greens and herb seasoning. A cookie with seeds and dried fruit. Brownie. Apple. Cereal bar and 750ml x mineral water.
Vegetarian / Celiac Options are also available.
Transfer to Punta Banderas Port:
The excursion begins at Punta Banderas Port, located 47kms from the city of Calafate. Estancia Cristina offers a regular transfer service to the Port from Calafate – departing from city hotels from 7:30am. with an additional cost of US$30 per person, otherwise guests can organize their own transfers (maximum show-up time at the port 8:45am).
Additional Charge: : as required by National Parks Services regulations, the cost of the Entrance Fee to the “Los Glaciares” National Park will be automatically added to the ticket value of the activity.